Thursday 14 February 2008

Evangelism 101: Getting Personal

These are the notes from Bob Heppe's talk last night (there'a bit of John Piper in here) but it was very helpful indeed. I am going to post the stuff over the next few days

EVANGELISM 101: GETTING PERSONAL

1.God wants to save people
For God so loved the world He gave His only Son...(Jn 3:16 -17)
Jesus Christ came into the world to save sinners (I Tim 1:15)

2.God has chosen to use us as His message bearers
As the Father has sent me, so I send you (Jn 20:21)

We are Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us.
We implore you on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God (II Cor 5:20)

And you shall be my witnesses... (Acts 1:8)

3.There is no need to fear failure -- Election
All that the Father gives to me shall come to me (Jn 6:37)
... I have many people in this city (Acts 18:10)

4.God is pleased to use the weak and inadequate things of the world
My grace is sufficient; My power is perfected in weakness
(II Cor 12:9-10)
God is pleased through our foolishness to save those whom he has
called (I Cor 1:18-25)

5.We must learn how to pray
apart from Me you can do nothing (Jn 15:5)

that the Word might run and be glorified (II Thess 3:1)
that God may open to us a door for the word (Col 4:3)
in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the gospel (Eph 6:19)

6.We must learn to persevere in specific prayer

Three individuals
Specific plan

7.We must be prepared to pay the price: Evangelism is dying

I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a
single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds. (John 12:24)

...and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ's afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church. (Col. 1:24)

Implications of this are both personal and corporate.

No comments: